Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some Essential Wolof Phrases

“Expressions Ouolof Essentielles”

Na nga def. - Hello. (singular)
Na ngeen def. - Hello everybody. (plural)
Jaam nga fanane. - Good morning.
Jamm nga yendoo. - Good afternoon.
Fanaanal jaam. - Goodnight.
Ba beneen. - Goodbye.
Su la nexee. - Please.
Jai-rruh-jef. - Thank you.
Agsil. - You’re welcome. (singular)
Agsileen ak jaam. - You’re all welcome. (plural)
Baal ma. - Sorry./Pardon.
Wau. - Yes.
Deh-det. - No.
Jaam nga am? - Have you peace? (How are you?)
Jaam rek. - Peace only. (I’m fine.)
Yow nag? - And you?
Naka-nga sant? - What’s your first name?
Maa ngi tudd … . - My name is … .
Fan nga dahk? - Where do you live?
Fan nga joghe? - Where are you from? (singular)
Fan ngeen joghe? - Where are you all from? (plural)
Maa ngi joghe les USA. - I’m from the USA.
Deg nga Angale? - Do you speak English?
Deg nga Faranse? - Do you speak French?
Angale rekk laa degg. - I speak only English.
Degg naa tuuti Faranse. - I speak a little French.
Mahn deggumah Wolof. - I don’t speak Wolof.
Mahn deggumah Faranse. - I don’t speak French.
Degguma. - I don’t understand.
Dama bahggoon … . - I’d like … .
Fahn la … ? - Where is … ?
Soreh na? - Is it far?
Cha kanam. - Straight ahead.
Chammoon. - Left.
Ndeyjoor. - right.
Dugghal waay! - Get in!
Lii naata? - How much is this?
Seer na torob. - It’s too much.
May ma jaam! - Leave me alone!

No comments: